This workshop will provide participants with a general overview of facilitated communication (FC), a method of augmentative and alternative communication (AAC), used by people with limited speaking abilities who have difficulty with reliable, independent pointing. The main focus of the workshop is on teaching participants the necessary skills to become effective communication partners for people who may use FC as one of their methods of communication.
This workshop is also open to people who may want gain a general understanding of the method. Examples and demonstrations of the use of the method with both school age individuals and adults will be given.
Topics covered will include:
• definition of FC and the role of FC in a total communication system
• basic elements of support involved in the method
• assessment of individuals for FC
• connection between movement/sensory issues and communication
• getting started training process for new facilitators
• strategies for independent communication
• technology supports including iPad applications and accessories
• review of current research and best practices.